In additional, the micro residency is intended to support a recent Design alumnus to pursue a short research project within ECA during the academic year ending May 2017.
The micro residency is funded by the Devolved Researcher Fund at the University of Edinburgh’s Institute of Academic Development.
ECA would like to host this residency and workshop between February and April 2018 with the workshop being held during the University’s Festival of Creative Learning (19-23 February 2018).
Please see the recruitment criteria below.
If you have any queries or would like to talk through your proposal please contact Dr Jessamy Kelly (Director of Postgraduate Taught in the School of Design).
To apply please email your 500-word proposal to Jessamy by 5pm on the 31st of January 2018: Jessamy.email@example.com
In previous year’s, workshops have been run by graduates Joanna Srokol (2016-2017) and Rocio von Jungenfeld (2015/2016). You can read about previous micro residencies on ECA’s website.
Applicants are expected to provide an inspiring example to our current PG students regarding how our alumni transition from postgraduate studies into one or more of the professional domains of your subject area. In addition to making a valuable contribution to your School’s postgraduate culture, the micro-residency will support the current QAA Scotland Theme: Improving the Student Experience.
- The micro-residency will be offered to a postgraduate alumnus of School of Design (both former Postgraduate Taught or Postgraduate Research students).
- The graduate must already be eligible to work in the United Kingdom:
In order to undertake paid employment at the University of Edinburgh, it is a statutory requirement that you can provide valid proof of your right to work in this country:
- A valid or recently expired passport
- OR A full* birth certificate and an official document with your National insurance number on it
(*The smaller birth certificate is not a document we are permitted to accept to allow work within the University of Edinburgh)
EU, EEA or Swiss citizen (Excluding Croatia):
- A valid passport
- OR A valid National Identity card
Citizen of a country outside the EU:
- A valid passport and a valid Biometric Residence Permit card (Biometric residence permits in expired passports are not acceptable)
- OR A valid passport, which contains a valid visa
In all cases, if you are in any doubt, please contact us before you apply and we will do what we can to inform you. If you arrive, but cannot prove your right to work in the UK, you will not be allowed to work and no payment can be made
- The alumnus can be self-employed or an employee of an organisation.
Terms and Conditions:
- The residency must be complete before the final day of the ECA Edinburgh Art Festival Show in August.
- The alumnus must be present in Edinburgh for at least one week of the micro-residency.
- The alumnus can be hosted in ECA or by one of our non-academic partners.
- The alumnus will run an event or workshop with current Postgraduate Taught or Postgraduate Research students during their period of residency. This must take place over at least one day and must be advertised to all ECA Postgraduate Taught or Postgraduate Research students.
- The alumnus will be paid a taxable honorarium of £1,000.
- Each School within ECA will have up to £1,000 to support their alumnus' reasonable associated expenses. This can be spent on travel, accommodation, sustenance, research expenses, materials, equipment, workshop or rental costs relating directly to the micro-residency.
- All funding is tied to the 2017/18 academic year, no expenditure can take place after 31st July 2018.