Based around the Solid State Logic (SSL) Analogue Workstation System (AWS) 900+ SE super-analogue mixing desk, the approach in designing this studio was to offer the best in analogue and digital recording and processing for both stereo and 5.1 surround applications.
The SSL AWS offers fantastic analogue signal pathways while also providing an intuitive and well-developed touch surface automation controller for various Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) software packages.
For an inclusive view of software environments, we offer ProTools HD, Nuendo, Ableton Live, Digital Performer, Reaper, and Logic Pro digital audio workstations, with the requisite hardware support for each.
To guarantee the most transparent audio conduit between the digital and analogue domains there are 24 channels of mastering grade AD/DA conversion from Mytek Digital. For signal processing beyond the desk and computer we house outboard processors from Manley, Cranesong, Vertigo, Drawmer, Eventide, DAV, and the flagship TC Electronic System 6000 digital surround processor.
The Reid Studio is located in the basement of the famous Reid Concert Hall, in the heart of Edinburgh on Bristo Square. A 300-seat Victorian venue built in 1859, the Reid Concert Hall is an integral part of the Reid School of Music. It houses two Steinway D concert grand pianos, in addition to a harpsichord and a pipe organ which is considered to be one of the finest of its kind in the UK.
For studio users, 16 mic inputs, 8 balanced returns and talkback are permanently installed and users are able to use the hall as Reid Studio’s principal recording space (Users are required to pass a short induction with the Studio Manager prior to use).
Reid Studio Hardware:
- SSL AWS 900+ SE 24 channel Analogue mixing desk
- PMC TB2S-A 5.1 surround monitors
- Sennheiser HD 650 headphones
- TC Electronic System 6000 with:
- Surround reverb
- MDX5.1 mastering dynamics and EQ
- Manley Massive Passive 4-band stereo valve EQ
- DAV BG3 stereo mastering EQ
- Vertigo VSC-2 stereo compressor
- Cranesong STC-8 Discreet Class A Compressor Limiter
- Drawmer Mercenary 1968 Stereo Compressor
- Klark-Technik DN780 Reverb
- Eventide Eclipse stereo 96KHz FX processor
- 3x Mytek 8×192 AD/DA convertors, 2 with ProTools HD DIO cards
- Apple 2×4 core 2.26GHz Xeon, 12Gb RAM, 3TB disc, 24″ Apple cinema display, 32″ NEC TV display
- Digidesign HD1 PCIe Pro Tools 8 HD Core System
- Lynx AES16e-SRC 16-channel PCIe digital audio card
- TC Electronic Konnekt 32 digital patchbay and Firewire sound card
- EMT 140st stereo plate reverb
- Studer A80RC 1/4″ 2-track analogue tape recorder, 7.5 and 15ips
- HHB Udp89 Universal Disc Player
- Radial OX8 Eight Channel 3-way Mic Splitter with Jensen transformers
- Herman Miller Aeron chair
- 2x Neumann U89 (omni/cardioid/wide cardioid/hyper cardioid/fig8)
- 3x Schoeps MK6 (omni/cardioid/fig8)
- 3x Schoeps MK2 (omni)
- 2x DPA 4061 (miniature omni)
- 2x Electrovoice RE-20 (dynamic cardioid)
- 2x AKG C 414 B-XLS (omni/wide cardioid/hyper cardioid/fig8)
- 2x Sennheiser MD421 Mk2 (dynamic cardioid)
- 4x Shure SM57 (dynamic cardioid)
- 4x BSS AR-133 Active DI Box
- Sonifex RB-HD6 6 channel headphone amp
- 2x SE Reflexion Filter
- 6x isolation panels 120x180cm
- Hear Technologies Extreme Extender ADAT to CAT5 converter for digital connection from the Reid Hall to studio
- Logic Pro
- Ableton Live
- Digital Performer
- Altiverb Surround Reverb
Also available upon request from Alison House:
- DAV BG8 8x mic pre-amps
- API 3124 4x mic pre-amps
- Audient ASP008 8x mic pre-amps with A/D ADAT output
- 3x TC Electronic Fireworx multi-effects processor
- DS201 gate
- DL241 compressor
Studio and equipment assistance
Having someone to guide studio users is a valuable support mechanism for students. For this reason, a Technical Support Team is on hand to help you with any studio or equipment queries.